National Exercise Referral Scheme (NERS)
How do I access this service?
You will need to be referred by a health professional such as a GP, Practice Nurse or Physiotherapist.
Am I eligible for NERS?
The scheme is aimed at those 16 years and older, who are at risk or have a chronic condition.
What will it cost?
The scheme currently costs £2.00 per session.
How long does the scheme last?
The scheme lasts between 4-32 weeks dependant on the referral reason. Each session lasts approximately 1 hour. You are required to attend sessions and attend follow-up consultations at 16 and 52 weeks.
What are the physical benefits?
There are many physical benefits to the scheme. These include;
- Heart and lungs become fitter and more efficient
- Joints become stronger
- Body fat and excess weight may be reduced
- Feeling more alert and energetic
- Helping to normalise blood pressure
- Reduce the risk of developing diabetes.
- What are the psychological benefits?
- You may become less stressed and anxious
- You may have more self-esteem and confidence
- You may become happier
- You may meet like-minded people
- You may make new friends which may make you more sociable.
To find out more click here